Minutes of 13th October : Chris Boddington
Apologies: Carol Jeffs, Wyn Janssen, Janice Grey, Edith & Ian Wilson.
Birthdays: Not this week
Loyal Toast to Australia: David Swan
Visitors: Rotarian Warwick Hanson who was welcomed by club members ( great to see you).
Dates for the Diary:
TAFE Halloween Dinner (tickets $40p/p from www.wollongongtickets.com.au) – Wed 25 October. Final ticket sales Thursday 19 October with TAFE 20-20 Restaurant needing numbers for their budding chefs & fledgling front of house staff. (Co-ordinator Tony McAdam)
Christmas Raffle 2017 (Coordinator Rowan Huxtable). Rowan announce that raffle ticket books are printed & available for members. This year we have two main venues The Lifeline Book Fair & Kembla Grange Races. The roster was sent out this week (thank you Isla & Rowan) & we could do with a few more hands on deck between 8.45am Friday 20th to Sunday afternoon. People attending the Book Fair are usually happy to buy a ticket or two & having more than two sellers makes it more social.
So sellers still needed for : Life Line Book Fair Friday 20, Sat 21 & Sun 22 October 2017, Kembla Races selling dates Sat 28 October, Sat 18 November, Sat 2 December & Sat 16 December 2017. Raffle drawn in the Mall by the Lord Mayor on Sun 17 December.
Illawarra Sunrise Annual Race Day @ Kembla Grange , Saturday 18 November 2017. Tickets from Elaine DeVries
Club Assembly this week was a busy one with reports from Directors & Project Coordinators.
1 Australia Day Update (President Brian Ashe attended WCC Meeting).
Lord Mayor paying for a better PA System. Lee Kramer & Howard & Sons Fireworks contractors using local contractor to ensure both timely & loud firing of the guns. Illawarra Pipe Band confirmed. Lord Mayor Gordon Bradbery also lined up. Michael Howe will speak. Battery Park booked & Police application for Australia Day March in progress.
2 A working bee at Battery Park has been organised for 9am Sunday 22 October.
3. Bunnings BBQ – thank you to Elaine DeVries for taking over organising the BBQ.
4. Illawarra Sunrise Rotary Race Day – Saturday 18 November ( Elaine DeVries). Interestingly over 200 non Rotarians including Dept of Education & SES have already booked tables at our function. Currently 20 from our club booked. Elaine now taking money for tickets & collecting prizes or $$ in lieu of prizes. Rob Edwards has paid for a professional MC for the day. We’re having a wine fridge, a 100 Club (or two), a gold coin throw at some Sapphire Gin & some Chivas Regal. Bill collecting two Diggies vouchers, Tony a nights accommodation, a voucher from Mudcat (?). Next meeting 26 October @ Elaine DeVries.
5. Treasurer’s Report ( Elaine DeVries)
We have money in the bank, most annual fees have been paid & Betty & Freni have paid their friend’s subs.
6. Membership & Christmas Raffle (Rowan Huxtable). Rowan has been chasing up ex members, friends & others to help with the raffle. Denis, Freni, Betsy, Di North & Ian McMaugh all coming to help.
7. Rotary Foundation & Philippines Project (Stephen Swan).
Medical & dental mission coming along nicely. John Bilboe has passed his medical & is coming to the Philippines ( hurrah!!!). Both dentists John Pearman & John Saad are coming ( hurrah!!). Triage dental nurse Stephen is going to have his work cut out for him with those two.
8. Service & Vocational ( Peter Rixon).
Peter has just returned from an inspection tour of the Flinder’s Ranges which by all reports was most impressive. Peter Rixon ( Assistant District Governor – ADG) Announced a Polio Plus Night @ Gala Cinema on 8th November. A sheet will be passed around for names & a plate from nominated members will be appreciated.
9. New Generations ( Elaine Hart). We are sending two Year 12’s to the National Science Forum with assistance from RC NW Fairy Meadow. This is the most prestigious opportunity for future young scientists. We also discussed the Honeywell Engineering School for Year 10. Elaine secured some funding from a member & is approaching Mr Pitt, the headmaster to see if a candidate is available.
10. Swing Into Wings 2018 (Tony McAdam)
Next year will be a huge event with involvement by Qantas & a tribute to Canberra. It’s under wraps & planning proceeding well.
11. Finally a lively discussion on past projects that had been successful. Ian Fargher agreed that once his PHD was complete this term, he would look at reviving the Farm Aid project that we previously partnered with RC Corrimal to assist rural farming families.
The Raffle was won by Isla.