Wollongong Old Court House to
Smith's Hill Battery
Smith’s Hill Fort also known as The Cliff Road Battery was built in 1892. It took 12 months to complete. The two 80 pound guns were test fired in October 1893.The Guns were never fired against an enemy.
In the 1980’s military enthusiasts applied for a Bicentennial grant to uncover the Battery and restore it for the 1988 celebrations. The Rotary Club of Wollongong Central took over the Battery as a service project and now The Rotary Club of Illawarra Sunrise has taken this task on.
This Battery was built to protect the Harbour against seaborne raids. This was because coal was a valuable commodity and steamships had just become a reality and needed that coal to travel the world.
There is also an underground component of the Battery which had rooms that contained the gun powder charges and ammunition. Our aim is to fully restore the Battery, including the underground component for visitors to see.
The gunners did not live at the Battery, but marched up each day from the Old Court House. The Battery was operational between 1893 and 1900.
The two 80 pound guns were constructed in 1872 by the Royal Gun Factory near London
Please come and join with the members of the Rotary Club of Illawarra Sunrise and the Illawarra Pipe Band in the March from the Old Court House to the Cliff Road Battery where flags will be raised and a re-enactment of the firing of the Guns will take place on Australia Day each year