Minutes of Rotary meeting 28 April 2017
Sergeant of Arms: Rowan Huxtable.
Apologies: Betsy Lilley, Carol Jeffs, Elaine Hart, Janice Pettitt-Gray, and Rob Edwards
Extended Leave: John Bilboe and Tony McAdam
Guests: Jan-Uwe Schmidt and Sven Schmidt.
Jan was a past exchange student from Germany. Jan and his twin brother Sven are in Australia for a 6 week holiday. Presently they are touring Tasmania.
Member’s birthdays: Edith said that there were no members birthdays for that week
Visiting Rotarians: Nil
International Toast: No International Toast was proposed
Peter informed members:
He spoke with Janice Pettitt-Gray who has been recovering from the flu. Janice has been busy with family as well.
Carol Jeffs has been actively helping with Swing into Wings with catering and table decorations.
ticket sales for Swing into Wings had reached 113.
The Murder Mystery night organised by St. Mary’s girls is on 5th This is not a late night so please can all members support this event.
Volunteers needed for manning the Rotary information booth at Wings Over The Illawarra for Saturday 6th .So far Rowan has volunteered.
New Generations committee will meet at Bernadette’s home on Wednesday 3rd
Guest Speaker: John Ebbott from CareFlight – Australia
John told us that the mission of CareFlight is to save lives, speed recovery and serve the community. Care Flight achieves their mission via several services that John described:
- Emergency and rescue, helicopters, aeroplanes and jets are used to fly specialist medical teams to the critically ill and injured. Thereby bringing the hospital to people who cannot wait to get there for life-saving care. Specialist doctors, nurses and paramedics use air ambulances to reach critically ill and injured patients.
CareFlight also provides search and rescue support to the Australian Maritime Authority (AMSA). Our night vision capability and winch equipped helicopters allow them to locate and rescue people in the dark and from difficult to access places.
- Patient care and transfer, for patients in need of specialist care, around Australia. CareFlight operates a fleet of turbo-prop air ambulances to transport patients between clinics, hospitals and from accident scenes. CareFlight has the ability to transport patients with serious respiratory conditions, cardiovascular problems, obstetric complications, snake bites and severe burns, as well as people injured in car, motorbike, farm vehicle and aircraft crashes.
- Education and training, John described how CareFlight train their own doctors, nurses and paramedics, as well as many of our partners in the chain of survival. Senior doctors employed by CareFlight work part-time in retrieval and must be clinically active in their chosen speciality.
Registrars can spend six or 12 months working full-time with CareFlight. They are then accredited with core training by the Critical Care Medical Colleges of Anaesthesia (ANZCA), Emergency Medicine (ACEM) and/or Intensive Care (CICM).
Flight nurses receive regular in-house education and training. They also attend a number of accredited external courses, funded by CareFlight. For helicopter operations, continuing accreditation requires a fitness assessment every 90 days, three-monthly static winch currency training, six-monthly live helicopter rescue procedures and two-yearly HUET.
Peter thanked John Ebbett for his presentation and handed a $200 cheque as a small donation to CareFlight.
Read more of this great charity https://careflight.org/
The Raffle: Peter Rixon who collected a bottle of wine.
Apologies: Contact Isla Bowen PH 4228 1346 firstname.lastname@example.org
Dates for the diary:
- Interact – Murder Mystery Night, 5th May 2017,
- Wings Over The Illawarra, 6th and 7th May 2017,
- Board meeting, 17th May 2017 at 6:15pm,
- Ride for Rotary, 21st May 2017, Book you spot online https://www.ride4rotaryillawarra.com.au/
- Shoalhaven Winter Wine Festival –June Long Weekend, 10-12th June 2017,
- Changeover Luncheon, 25th June 2017.
Guest Speaker – Adele Beck, Medieval Society, College of Saint Malachy.
Next Friday’s meeting 5th May will be held on level 4 in the Belmore Room.