|WOW, what a conference, I have only been to two District Conferences before and found them both a ‘bit ordinary’ however this year had three exceptional keynote speakers:|
- Curtis McGrath, motivation and overcoming adversity, dust to glory – Curtis McGrath. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3zTW2JVg8c
- Marcus Akuhata-Brown, lifting the lid of low achievers. http://www.speakerlink.co.nz/speaker/marcus-akuhata-brown/
- Deng Adut, a child soldier. http://www.theaustralian.com.au/life/weekend-australian-magazine/child-soldier-turned-lawyer-deng-adut-transforms-trauma-into-hope/news-story/f6ffedfd0bb891a1507bbf81d4fab208
In addition to the keynote speaker was a series of plenary sessions on various topics:
- Sarah Brown, passion and purpose – the purple house story. https://www.westerndesertdialysis.com/
- Helen “Bo” Morse, a quick solution to solve water problems.
- Tabatha Buonaccoris, Jayden Bregu and Judith Mogi, Rotary inspired me.
- Professor Michael Sawyer OAM, Why child and adolescent mental health. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10398560802065161?needAccess=true&journalCode=iapy20
- PDG Bob Aitkin OAM, Polo and Graffiti removal. http://www.justice.nsw.gov.au/Pages/media-news/media-releases/2013/graffiti-removal-day.aspx
- Melissa Abu-Gazaleh, addressing boys’ mental health. http://anthillonline.com/behind-top-bloke-top-lady-young-woman-championing-young-mens-health-australia-10-years-now/
- PDG Jessie Harman, Changing times – changing Rotary. https://tthomas061.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/rotary_s-membership-problemv4.pdf
- Debbie Roberts, organ donation – donation life. http://www.macarthuradvertiser.com.au/story/4057257/donation-offers-the-gift-of-life/
Seen at this year’s district conference was PE Brian, PP Bernadette, Edith and Ian, Isla and Michael, Rowan, IPP Tony, Katie and Pres Peter, thank you to Bill and Chris for volunteering as crowd controllers.
Booking for next year district conference will start in September and the venue is in Mudgee, Dates are the 2nd to 4th March. It has been suggested to hire a mini bus. More information to come as the time draws closer to the application date.